Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Opposite Day

Thursday was apparently opposite day. Though I must have missed the memo.

When JJ woke up, as per usually he asked if it was a school day. (He still cannot seem to master the days of the week.....) After telling him it was, and him breaking out into hysterics, he calmed down and asked if I could walk to pick him up at school today. I thought that was a great idea and said I would.

After picking Sweet Pea up from school that afternoon, I told her we'd head home for a snack and then go walk to pick up JJ. She was less than thrilled.

"WHAT? WE'RE WALKING THERE? I DON'T WANT TO WALK THERE." WAAAAA WAAAAA WAAAAA. (Yes this is all in caps because she was screaming at me.)

She often comes home from school famished. (She tends to starve herself at school. I'm pretty sure she's too busy socializing to eat. ) I thought after a nice snack she might feel differently. One could only hope. Unfortunately, when it was time to go, she was still not into the idea. I suggested she ride her bike. "But where will I put it?" she said.

"Put what?"

"My bike?"

"What are you talking about?"

"WHERE WILL I PUT IT AT THE SCHOOL?"

I'm still not quite sure why she was worried about this. It's not like we live in the hood. (Though there was a recent bank robbery.) But I was pretty sure the bike would be okay for the 2 minutes we'd be inside getting JJ.

"You can just leave it outside. It will be fine."

"No. It won't."

Okayyyyy. I asked her no less than what seemed like a hundred more times if she wanted to ride her bike. Her response was, "No. And stop asking me!"

We set out on our 3/1oths of a mile walk to the school. There was a lot of huffing and puffing and pouting. Then about 2 minutes into the trip she says, "I wish I rode my bike."

Freakin' unbelievable.

She managed to make it all the way to the school all the while whining and complaining. My daughter has the uncanny ability to take anything that is supposed to be fun and enjoyable and make it COMPLETE torture. Sad, but true.

We passed through one of the near by playgrounds on the way. I suggested that perhaps after we get JJ we play at the playground for awhile. Wouldn't that be fun?

"NO." She said. "I do not want to go to the playground."

Sigh.....

So we got JJ. Who incidentally had completely forgot that he asked me to walk to get him. Lucky for him he did not have any objection to walking home. That very well may have put me over the edge.

As we were walking out of the building, and started off back home, Sweet Pea said to JJ, "Want to go the playground?"

Of course he did. What kid wouldn't? What caused the change of heart, I have no idea. Nor did I care. Off we went.

After about a 1/2 hour at the playground JJ said he was hungry and thirsty and of course I did not bring a thing with me. He asked if we could go to the pizza place on the way home. Frankly, it solved the dinner problem for me so I was happy to do it. I asked Abby if she wanted pizza. And of course she said, "No." However she can not possibly go on another step without water. "We'll get water at the pizza place." I said.

"But I can't wait that long." You know the whole 2 minutes it will take us to get there. The longest two minutes EVER.

When we got to the pizza place, I asked Sweet Pea a couple times if I should get her a slice. Of course she answered again, "No."

When the pizza was ready, I took it out of the bag and there were two pieces. I'm not sure why. Maybe they were small for "slices" so they gave us too. But they were plenty big for kids. And this was good but because you know where this is going. As soon as I gave JJ his slice, Sweet Pea said, with attitude, "Fine. I'll have a piece." As if she was doing me some favor.

When we were just about home, Sweet Pea finally came out with what I now know to be the source of her mood. Apparently she had gotten in trouble at school and clearly it was bothering her. I wouldn't say she got in trouble, those were her word. The teacher saw her rolling her eyes when one of the boys sat in the seat next her -the seat she was saving for her best friend. The teacher responded with, "Sweet Pea, I don't like what I am seeing." She is very much a rule follower so getting called out on this was probably very traumatic for her. Franky, I was simply relieved that there was an explanation for her pitiful behavior. Maybe that was her plan....act like at totally brat so that when she tells me she got in trouble, what she did will seem like nothing in comparison to her more recent bad behavior. VERY CLEVER!!!! Too bad I'm on to her now.

2 comments:

Kami said...

So are you saying that the fun of being contrarian simply to piss off Mommy doesn't lose its cache over time? Shit. My kid is three and it's already started. I had the same bike conversation with him just a few weeks ago! At least they're cute right?

Wendy said...

I'm afraid it only gets worse!!